Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What if practice was play?

Usually we think of practice as a progression--something that we do that leads us up to something. For example, "I will do core work and that core work is going to make me strong so that I can do my inversions better". It could also be like "if I continue to do this in (pose of your choice) then eventually I will be able to do it right or correctly". I will be the first to say that I am all for alignment. Many of you have heard me say the quote "Order creates space for grace to blossom"--so I do think it's important to line up. I also think that energy alignment is important--sometimes even more so than anything else. I think that if we line up from deep within ourselves--with intention and inner body awareness--allowing breath to literally animate muscles and bones-then we have something really interesting happening within our practice.

From Yoga Spandakarika by Danial Odier:

...This is the most difficult thing to attain: accepting the freedom of movement, the creativity of life, understanding that a fixed state, as marvelous as it might be, is not compatible with life.

Think about an Indian musician. He presents the theme of the raga; then subtly and slowly, he explores all the expressive possibilities of the raga, he ventures out, he touches lightly, he penetrates, he withdraws, he allows himself to be taken to ecstatic joy, returns to the most masterful variations, allows the theme to lead him to an expressive climax and, little by little, comes back down to silence. Never will he play that raga in in the same way........

Let us enter the great spherical movement; let us forget the rectilinear pathway that assumes there is a progression and the attainment of a goal. Let us be like a wave that accepts its pathway, its strength, its weakness, its freedom, the absence of choice.

Once we leave the rectilinear behind, we enter naturally into subtlety. Our meandering movement movement in a forward direction, but movement toward the living, the spontaneous, the creative........

What would happen to your practice if it was more about creating movements towards the poses and movements away from them as well. The pose within the pose and everything in between. Finding all the sweet, joyful, playful, interesting, and complexities awaiting to be discovered by you. You just have to be willing to play.

For those who were with me this last week thank you so much for playing and for entering into the spherical. May we all continue to find ways of connecting to the living, spontaneous, and creative life force.

Love Light and Peace to you all!

2 comments:

Greenius said...

Michael -- I was lucky enough to be in one of your playful classes last week. Thank you for the joyful energy you bring to your teaching. I have learned so much from you and had fun doing so. You pushed me to go farther in my practice and as a result helped me see that I am stronger than I realized.

I am sad you are leaving Chicago. Our loss is California's gain. We'll miss you. Wishing you peace and happiness on your journey.

mia park said...

best to you where ever you land. sorry i didn't take more of your classes. you're a doll! i learned so much just from talking to you...

love,
mia